Two patch styles are available for a donation of $10.00 each. Please see photos.
In September 1926, Colonial Heights was established as a town, having originally been a part of Chesterfield County and the City of Petersburg.
The first Colonial Heights law enforcement officer was a Town Sergeant who relied upon the assistance of the Chesterfield County, and City of Petersburg Police Departments.
The first full-time police officer was Officer Brown, who came to Colonial Heights from the Chesterfield County Police Department. Then Mayor Shepard served as the town’s first Police Chief and Magistrate. The first police department office was established in 1931 at what is now the school board building.
During the 1930’s and 1940’s, two police officers were on duty to protect the town. One officer was assigned to the day-shift while the second officer worked at night. At times when Old Town Creek threatened to flood U.S. Routes 1/301, the officers divided the town, one patrolling north, and the second patrolling south of the creek.
In 1948, Colonial Heights changed from a Town status to a Second Class City, having a population under 5,000 residents.
In 1956, the police department relocated to the new City Hall building, located on James Avenue. In the 1970’s, the police department moved to the basement of the courthouse, located on Temple Avenue. In 2001, the department was relocated to the newly established Public Safety Building in what was once city hall.
First established as a town and now a First Class City, Colonial Heights has been served by seven police chiefs and today, the Colonial Heights Police Department has a sworn strength of 54 men and women.